I am pleased to inform that I will be sharing my approaches and techniques at Madeline Island School of the Arts, on July 2024!
I will be together with a few fantastic international sketchers: Jane Blundell (Australia), Oliver Hoeller (Austria) and Nina Johansson (Sweden). Participans will sketch with each of us at different new locations every day (check their website and see how amazing the place is!)
The 'Sketching Haven: A Summer Retreat with Four Internationally Renowned Artists' (link here) will happen on July 8th–12th, 2024
"Experience an unparalleled opportunity to enhance your artistic skills with four exceptional instructors. Eduardo Bajzek‘s workshop focuses on capturing trees and landscapes, while Jane Blundell’s workshop specializes in color and botanical sketching. Oliver Hoeller guides participants in telling the story of Madeline Island through sketching, and Nina Johansson immerses you in everyday life in coastal harbor town. With diverse techniques and personalized guidance, these workshops offer a comprehensive learning experience for participants to refine their skills and explore various aspects of sketching and painting. Students will interact with a new instructor and visit a new location everyday."
I will teach the following workshop:
Eduardo Bajzek: Trees and the Island Landscape
- Discover the essence of incorporating Nature as the predominant theme, exploring its graceful and meaningful presence in crafting artistic compositions.
- Exploring different types of linework, shapes, and edges variety associated with trees.
- Understanding the structure consistency of trunks and branches for a balanced composition.
- Developing the skill to see and sketch tree silhouettes.
- Outdoor sketching session in Madeline Island, combining nature and buildings in unique compositions.
- Demonstrations by the instructor on choosing and framing subjects, organizing layers of tone, and creating depth.
- Participants will create their own landscape drawings, applying the learned concepts and receiving in-person assistance.
- Feedback session for participants to share their work and receive final considerations.
And here's a short description of my fellow partners (see more at Madeline's website):
Jane Blundell: Botanical Sketching
Jane is a member of the Australian Watercolour Institute, Australia’s oldest watercolour society, and an exhibiting member of the Royal Art Society of New South Wales, and a member of the Urban Sketching education committee. She is passionate about watercolour, colour, drawing and sketching.
Oliver Hoeller: Sketching the Story of Madeline Island
Oliver is a skilled sketcher and traveling artist, known for his ability to tell rich stories through his work. Explore Madeline Island, visiting the museum and surrounding areas to gather visual elements that reflect the island’s fascinating history. Oliver provides personalized guidance on arranging elements on the page; presenting demonstrations and giving feedback throughout the day.
Nina Johansson: Everyday Life in a Coastal Village
Nina Johansson, an illustrator and art teacher from Stockholm, Sweden, is a dedicated on-location sketcher with a penchant for capturing everyday life in urban environments. Learn techniques to convey perspective without construction, work from big shapes to smaller details, and create well-composed sketches. Students will grow through individual support and group discussions.